Re: Fwd: struct inode size reduction.

From: Alexander Viro (viro@math.psu.edu)
Date: Sun Mar 09 2003 - 21:23:41 EST

On Mon, Mar 10, 2003 at 12:08:24AM +0100, Andries Brouwer wrote:
> =====
> +int register_chrdev(unsigned int major, const char *name,
> + struct file_operations *fops)
> +{
> + return register_chrdev_region(major, 0, 256, name, fops);
> +}

That's Wrong API(tm). Why do you need to keep separation between
major and first minor? Just pass dev_t start and unsigned len.

BTW, I'd like to take a look at your CIDR for chrdev - I've got one
to resurrect and it might make sense to compare-and-merge. And
yes, I'm finally back - hopefully for good.