IRQ conflicts - unsolvable???

From: mikemohr@nethere.com
Date: Mon Mar 10 2003 - 03:36:25 EST

This is a repost; I did not see my original message get
through, perhaps due to an MTA issue on my host. I apologize
if this is a duplicate - please resend any replies, as I could
not find those either. I am subscribed.

------------------------------

Hello:

Thanks all for providing a wonderful operating system for me
to use free of charge. I can't believe that you guys do all
this work for free, you are simply amazing. I would like to
contribute to the kernel once I learn more C, but alas not
yet.. anyhow, here is the reason I am writing to you:

I have major problems with PnP onboard hardware. I can get it
all working, but the problem is that some of it doesn't like
sharing IRQs. Especially my sound card. The sound card times
out at random times when I am playing music, say with XMMS.
My secondary ethernet card also conflicts with the card on
IRQ7. I have tried everything I can think of, resettings the
ESCD, set all H/W to auto, and played with BIOS settings for 2
weeks.

The only way I can see to fix this problem is to change a few
settings in my BIOS and reboot, kind of point and shoot and
hope it hits... as you can imagine, this takes a _long_ time.
This is the best config possible so far:

mohr@rosetta:~$ cat /proc/interrupts
CPU0
0: 2547713 XT-PIC timer
1: 739 XT-PIC keyboard
2: 0 XT-PIC cascade
4: 1969066 XT-PIC usb-ohci, nvidia, serial
7: 723591 XT-PIC NVIDIA nForce Audio, ehci-hcd
8: 1 XT-PIC rtc
11: 56868 XT-PIC usb-ohci, ohci1394, eth0
12: 14465 XT-PIC PS/2 Mouse
14: 154253 XT-PIC ide0
15: 5 XT-PIC ide1
NMI: 0
LOC: 2547675
ERR: 98
mohr@rosetta:~$

Please tell me there is a solution! I need help :) I don't
want to be stuck like a pig on Windows!

Thanks
Michael