kernel 2.4.21-pre5 crash at boot with 1GB memory, highmem 4GB and vga=788 in lilo

From: Adrian Golumbovici (adrian.golumbovici@t-online.de)
Date: Mon Mar 10 2003 - 17:51:58 EST

Motherboard: Asus A7V8X
CPU: Athlon XP 2400+
Memory: 2 modules DDR PC333 of 512MB each. (3.5 hours continuous memtest86
showed no error in any of them).
Graphics Card: Atlantis Sapphire Radeon 9700 Pro

With just one module (same thing with either of them) works ok. As soon as I
have 2nd module in it crashes at kernel boot (lilo menu comes on OK but
after selecting kernel it freezes with capslock and scrolllock lights on and
black screen). Highmem is set to 4G as the subject line says. Tried all
possible settings as append boot parameter (noapic, noacpi, acpi=off, etc)
and it worked only when vga=ask (I picked 2 values out of them in 2 tests
i.e. 0 and 6 and it worked ok). Put the original settings back in lilo.conf
and tried to play with the mem setting at boot. Lowest value at which still
crashes is mem=888M, highest value at which it doesn't crash or give any
segfault errors is 848M. Everything in between these values doesn't crash,
but gives a huge list of segfaults. It still boots, but most modules are
down (cannot be loaded due to the huge list of segfaults) and is highly
unstable. Windows 2000 Pro as second OS with dualboot (I know... I know... I
hate M$ products but I have to play some games which don't work under linux
from time to time... :) ) boots ok and starting a divx encoding with a cache
in RAM set to 1024MB (to force it use all main RAM and see what happens)
still didn't crash after 2 hours of encoding, while main unused RAM went
down to 2.5MB of RAM (didn't go past that, but instead increased the swap
only). I compiled the 2.4.21pre5 kernel with kmsgdump patch and booted with
original parameters (no mem parameter and vga=788 as is standard in my
distro - Mandrake Linux 9.1rc2). Attached you will find the messages.txt
produced by kmsgdump and also the result of running ksymoops on it. Please
help before I go insane.:( I tried all the last 4 available bioses for my
mainboard and also all enterprise kernels (highmem enabled) from my distro,
including the development ones and still no go (same freeze). :( If you need
more info to help pinpoint the problem, please ask. I've been trying through
the whole weekend to get it work or to isolate the problem and am up to the
point where I feel like going to sit in a corner and cry. :(

Best regards,
Adrian Golumbovici