Re: problem w/ auto negotiate & ns83820 & netgear fsm726s switch

From: Benjamin LaHaise (bcrl@redhat.com)
Date: Wed Mar 12 2003 - 13:15:31 EST

On Wed, Mar 12, 2003 at 09:11:02AM -0500, Mr. James W. Laferriere wrote:
> The switch reports negotiating ...
> Port Name Link On/Off State Rate/Duplex Flow Ctrl
> 26GB Not Defined Up On Forwarding (10 Full) (Disabled)
>
> ns83820 reports , eth0: link now 1000F mbps, full duplex and up.
> I am quite aware that this could well be a difficulty in the
> switch still . So I am looking for pointers on where to look ?
> I already tried the netgear suport site ;-} . That is why I am
> running the lastest code for the switch (1.0.4) .

It's entirely possible the card has a different polarity for the phy bits
as compared to the fibre card (Netgear) that the driver is already tested
on. Also, I've only managed to test on a cisco switch -- is there any
other hardware you can test against (ie using the fibre cable for cross
over) to narrow things down? Enabling debug and dumping the status bits
might hint as to what has to be changed. Thankfully Trendnet seems to
have programmed the subsystem id, so I'll be able to include the change
automatically.

                -ben