Re: [ANNOUNCE] BK->CVS (real time mirror)

From: Ben Collins (bcollins@debian.org)
Date: Wed Mar 12 2003 - 13:47:10 EST

On Wed, Mar 12, 2003 at 07:38:06PM +0100, Arador wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Mar 2003 23:16:21 -0500
> Ben Collins <bcollins@debian.org> wrote:
>
> > You've made quite a marketing move. It's obvious to me, maybe not to
> > others. By providing this CVS gateway, you make it almost pointless to
> > work on an alternative client. Also by providing it, you make it easier
>
> I don't think so. This also bits Larry. If he does well enought, there'll be
> some people here that won't use bitkeeper just because they can use the cvs
> gateway and they don't need/miss the features they could get with bk.
>
> And i don't think it avoids creating a free bk clone. I guess that there's
> a lot of people out there interested in such tool, and not only for kernel
> development; this won't stop them.
>
> As far as i can see; Larry is just wasting time (money) to help the kernel
> development and people who doesn't use BK just because it isn't free. And
> he's not charging me, so i find this a good movement for everybody. I only
> can say thanks.

You're missing the point. I am not against the CVS->BK gateway. I'm all
for it. But it's kind of sour given that he now wants to change the disk
format of the repo to make it harder to get the data from it.

If all he announced was "you now have a CVS->BK repo", I wouldn't be
complaining, I'd be patting him on the back.

--
Debian     - http://www.debian.org/
Linux 1394 - http://www.linux1394.org/