Re: Problem with aacraid driver in 2.5.63-bk-latest

From: Douglas Gilbert (dougg@torque.net)
Date: Wed Mar 12 2003 - 20:31:13 EST

Alan Cox wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-03-12 at 23:55, Douglas Gilbert wrote:
>
>> /*
>> * Limit max queue depth on a single lun to 256 for now. Remember,
>> * we allocate a struct scsi_command for each of these and keep it
>> * around forever. Too deep of a depth just wastes memory.
>> */
>> if(tags > 256)
>> return;
>

> I can see the memory consideration. However the thing can really handle big
> queues well. Possibly we should be setting the queue to 512 / somefunction(volumes)
> though to avoid the worst case overcommit here

The situation is different between 2.4 and 2.5 ...

In 2.4 the per device queue_depth is an unsigned char
and that number of scsi_cmnd instances are pre-allocated
in the scsi_build_commandblocks() function. So the worst
case number of scsi_cmnd instances for all scsi devices
is always available (at the expense of [wasted] ram).

In 2.5 queue_depth is an unsigned short and a slab
allocator called "scsi_cmd_cache" is used as required.
There is some throttle logic (or at least it has been
talked about) to make sure one scsi_cmnd instance per
scsi device will always be available.

I think that comment (probably by Doug Ledford) refers
to the 2.5 series before the slab allocator was
introduced.

Doug Gilbert