2.4.18-14 rebuild problems

From: p b (bustedkernel@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Mar 12 2003 - 22:04:48 EST

I've been trying to compile the Linux kernel to no avail. I've been
following the Linux kernel howto's fairly closely. Here's my scenario.

I need to set a few memory and semaphore parameters to accommodate an Oracle
9i database installation and need to rebuild the kernel as a result.

I'm using RDH 8.0, and a stock kernel 2.4.18-14 on a HP LPR machine w a
sym53c8xx scsi card. Nothing's special. Virtually all the steps complete
successfully but for a small wrinkle.

The "make install" piece sez it can't find the sym53c8xx scsi modules. Sure
enough, perusing the lib/modules/2.4.18.x library indicates no entries for
…/kernel/drivers/scsi/sym53xx.

If I look at an earlier build, the pieces are there. I’ve tried fudging the
install by copying them over to my new
/lib/modules/2.4.18.x/kernel/drives/scsi. But then I get unresolved symbol
errors upon a “make install” and of course “make modules_install” scrubs my
fudged entries.

I successfully (?) compiled on one occasion, only to encounter a “scream”
panic trap indicating I had a missing root, just at about the spot I would
anticipate the kernel is engaging the sym53c8xx card.

I’ve also tried a 2.4.19 kernel and ran into the same problem.

I got about a week into this and am still hopeful…or perhaps totally
misguided.

Clearly somebody’s (RDH) been able to compile this kernel, how can I?

Please cc me directly, if that's ok?

Thanks for your time.
PB