Re: Linux BUG: Memory Leak

From: Richard B. Johnson (root@chaos.analogic.com)
Date: Thu Mar 13 2003 - 09:42:39 EST

On Thu, 13 Mar 2003, James Stevenson wrote:

> > With all due respect to all the great programmers and
> > minds in this mailing list. I could not read this and
> > not reply to this guy:
> >
> > Maybe you should take your games and movies to windows
> > and leave linux for more serious stuff. That'll fix
> > your memory leak.
>
> correct me if i am wrong here but i know alot of students
> who use linux todo serious stuff and get really pissed off have to
> reboot into windows to play games because they dont work
> under windows and for various other things that also cause
> problems in linux. Actually quite alot of them end up
> dumping linux because any of the serious games wont work on there
> system because they would have to tear much of it apart toget
> them to work.
>
> this isnt a serious problem then ?
>
> James

But it's a memory leak in the game, not the kernel. They should
complain to the game makers. If a game runs the system out of
memory so a user can't log in on the root account and kill off
the game, it's a problem with the game.

--and I don't know what a 'serious game' is. Perhaps its what
the student is doing instead of studying so future engineers
develop that necessary hand-eye coordination. It's great
in design reviews, can swap hands and get a beat in between.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
Penguin : Linux version 2.4.20 on an i686 machine (797.90 BogoMips).