2.5.64: ioremap_nocache() failes with 1 gigabyte memory, works with 512 Mb?

From: Jurriaan (thunder7@xs4all.nl)
Date: Fri Mar 14 2003 - 02:45:30 EST

I reported a problem with the tdfxfb framebuffer yesterday, where it
said:

fb: Can't remap 3Dfx Voodoo5 register area.

when loading the module. On compiling the framebuffer into the kernel,
it oopsed.

Andrew Morton advised

> http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.5/testing/cset/cset-1.1068.1.17-to-1.1104.txt.gz

That file doesn't exist, but there exists a cset-1.1104.txt file. That's
about the framepointer and gcc-2.96, whereas I use

Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-linux/3.2.3/specs
<snip>
gcc version 3.2.3 20030309 (Debian prerelease)

a somewhat more advanced version :-)

Anyway, since it fails as a module, I think I just get a failed call to
ioremap_nocache() in drivers/video/tdfxfb.c.

Now I added some information to the printk, and I now know:

fb: Can't remap 3Dfx Voodoo5 register area. (start d0000000 length 8000000)

If I boot my kernel with 'mem=512M' I can use the framebuffer just fine
(well, it doesn't work and writes funky patters to the screen, but at
least ioremap_nocache() works fine).

What is the reason ioremap_nocache() fails? Is this something that can
be prevented? I am not entirely clear on what is happening anyway (real
memory, virtual memory, nocache-memory, io-memory - a little bit above
my head :-) ).

Kind regards,
Jurriaan

--
A stone makes a splash when it strikes the water, Lisseut had thought,
standing by this same shore on the day she'd arrived near the end of