Re: [Perfctr-devel] Re: perfctr-2.5.0 released

From: Nils Smeds (smeds@pdc.kth.se)
Date: Fri Mar 14 2003 - 04:10:50 EST

> Perhaps this has been asked for a million times, but I'm new to
> perfctrs...
> Is there any tool available to profile a program based on this ?
> I have seen perfex, but that gives total counts. I would like something
> like gprof... We are now optimizing some software and I would like to
> make my colleagues leave Windows (they use Intel's VTune) and go to
> Linux.
> Or at least compare the same kind of things between VTune on win and
> 'something' in Linux that also uses the counters. They don't seem to
> trust gprof. And, looking at the results, I'm beginning to untrust
> VTune...

Take a look at HPCView from Rice unversity. It might do what you are
looking for?

http://www.cs.rice.edu/~dsystem/hpcview/index.html

/Nils

   Nils Smeds                        http://www.pdc.kth.se/
   Center for Parallel Computers     e-mail: smeds@pdc.kth.se
   Royal Institute of Technology     Voice:  +46-8-7909115
   KTH                               Fax:    +46-8-247784
   S-100 44 Stockholm, Sweden        Office: OB2, room 1546