Re: v2.5.32 - v2.5.64+ Locks at Boot with Athlon Machine

From: Karl Vogel (karl.vogel@seagha.com)
Date: Fri Mar 14 2003 - 07:09:00 EST

On 12 Mar 2003, you wrote in linux.kernel:

> I've tried versions 2.5.32, 2.5.59, 2.5.61, and 2.5.64, as well as
> version 2.5.31 and earlier on my machine. Every version from 2.5.32
> and above locks up after printing:
>
> Uncompressing Linux... Ok, booting the kernel.
>
> I've noticed there have been some significant changes in what I
> understand of the boot process at this point, but I can't decipher
> the assembly hardly at all well enough to try to investigate
> further. Is there any place that I can acquire a set of the
> separate, unrelated patches that happened between 2.5.31 (which
> boots) and 2.5.32? I'm basically a trained monkey when it comes to
> debugging this kind of thing, so I'm going to have to try the old
> "back out a patch and see if it works" technique.
>
> My config file is pretty bare-bones, I've tried with and without the
> "mem=nopentium" and "noauto" kernel parameters (as dredged up via
> Google). I've also tried replacing setup.S from v2.5.31, this just
> immediately reboots.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated,
> --Jim

I'm having the same problem with 2.5.64 (haven't tried another dev kernel
yet). The system boots, prints the

'Uncompressing Linux... Ok, booting the kernel.'

message and then locks up. After 2-3 seconds the capslock led turns off and
then the system is totally locked, requiring a press of the reset button to
reset the system (CTRL-ALT-DEL doesn't work). SysRq doesn't work either.

My system specs:
- AthlonXP 1700
- VIA KT266A chipset / 512Mb DDR ram
- normal keyboard (no USB) and PS/2 mouse
- GeForce4 Ti4600 videocard (kernel not compiled with framebuffer)
- 3 IDE UDMA harddisks, 1 IDE CD-RW attached