Re: Never ever use word BitKeeper if Larry does not like you

From: Eric Sandall (eric@sandall.us)
Date: Fri Mar 14 2003 - 16:55:13 EST

Roger Luethi said:
<snip>
> I contend that quoting lawyer advice in a flamewar on a community list
> should automatically invoke Godwin's law, and just to be on the safe
> side, I let it be known that you all sound like a bunch of Nazis. EOT.
>
> Roger

FYI:

The Jargon Dictionary : Terms : The G Terms : Godwin's Law

Godwin's Law
Godwin's Law prov. [Usenet] "As a Usenet discussion grows longer,
the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one."
There is a tradition in many groups that, once this occurs, that thread is
over, and whoever mentioned the Nazis has automatically lost whatever
argument was in progress. Godwin's Law thus practically guarantees the
existence of an upper bound on thread length in those groups. However
there is also a widely- recognized codicil that any intentional triggering
of Godwin's Law in order to invoke its thread-ending effects will be
unsuccessful.

Pay special attention to that last sentence. :)

-Sandalle

--
PGP Key 0x5C8D199A5A317214
http://search.keyserver.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x5A317214

Eric Sandall | Source Mage GNU/Linux Developer eric@sandall.us | http://www.sourcemage.org/ http://eric.sandall.us/ | SysAdmin @ Inst. Shock Physics @ WSU http://counter.li.org/ #196285 | http://www.shock.wsu.edu/