Re: [patch, rfc] lt-epoll ( level triggered epoll ) ...

From: Jonathan Lemon (jlemon@flugsvamp.com)
Date: Fri Mar 14 2003 - 17:27:12 EST

On Fri, Mar 14, 2003 at 02:16:34PM -0800, Davide Libenzi wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Mar 2003, Jonathan Lemon wrote:

> > >lt-epoll ( level triggered epoll ) ...":

> > >See, this is a free world, and I very much respect your opinion. On the
> > >other side you might want to actually *read* the kqueue man page and find
> > >out of its 24590 flags, where 99% of its users will use only 1% of its
> > >functionality. Talking about overbloating. You might also want to know
> > >that quite a few kqueue users currently running on your favourite OS, are
> > >moving to Linux+epoll. The reason is still unclear to me, but I can leave
> > >you to discover it as exercise.
> >
> > FUD. You should know that in the normal case, kq users don't use any
> > flags, but they are available for those people who are doing specific
> > things. But I bet you knew that already and just want to slam something
> > that isn't epoll.
>
> Please, consider reading the message that generated the response before
> generating superfluous noise. Expecially those "overbloated" and "poorly
> designed" thingies. In my books overbloat is the presence of features that
> 99% of users simply ignore.

I've read the entire thread.

I'm responding to your hyperbole about "XXX flags", which is pure
exaggeration. I might as well say that epoll is "limited" and
"single-purpose", since it is not capable of doing the same things
that kqueue can do. In my book, engineering should make the common
case fast, and the uncommon case possible. You seem to be ignoring
the latter.

If you want to call those features you don't use, "bloat", fine. But
they *are* useful to many (>> 1) people, and they were added because
there was no other way to solve their problem. You should see the
laundry list of items/features/extensions/flags I declined to add, usually
because they were too special-purpose.

--
Jonathan