Re: AIC79xx driver on kernel 2.4.19

From: Justin T. Gibbs (gibbs@scsiguy.com)
Date: Sun Mar 16 2003 - 13:10:07 EST

> Hi,
>
> I'm prob. missing something really simple but I'm having probs with the
> AIC79xx driver and an adaptec 29320R adapter.
>
> Kernel: 2.4.19
> aic drvr: aic79xx-1.1.0-source.tar.gz
> drvr src: Adaptec web site

This is way out of date. Try pulling sources, RPMs, Driver Update
Diskettes, etc from:

http://people.FreeBSD.org/~gibbs/linux/SRC/
http://people.FreeBSD.org/~gibbs/linux/RPM/aic79xx
http://people.FreeBSD.org/~gibbs/linux/DUD/aic79xx

> SCSI Adapter: Adaptec 29320R
> Drives connected to U2W, UW and narrow connectors
> connected to 32-bit PCI socket
>
> The device presents itself as two adapters, the narrow/UW one (A) and the
> U2W (B). The BIOS is set to use the B adapter to boot from.
>
> When the kernel
> boots it ignores the BIOS preferences for boot order and binds scsi0 to
> adapter A and scsi1 to adapter B. This is a problem as the main drives are
> on the U2W adapter and the drives on the other adapter are generally
> removable; net result is that I have to manually choose the boot device at
> startup.
>
> Quetions:
>
> 1. Is there anyway to make the kernel driver bind the adapters in a diff
> order, .e.g: U2W as primary, UW/narrow as secondary, as in the BIOS
> settings?

I will have to go find the serial eeprom spec again and see if the
primary boot channel is specified. If it is, this is an easy feature
to add. I already do something similar for the aic7xxx driver.

> 2. When I connect a "Maxtor Atlas 10K II U320" I get repeated debug screens
> and it refuses to boot from the drive

What firmware is on the Atlas 10K? If it is not >= B440 (which is not
even the latest available) it will likely fail spectacularly.

--
Justin