RE: PROBLEM: make bzImage fails when LANG set

From: James Watkins-Harvey (james.watkins-harvey.1@ens.etsmtl.ca)
Date: Sun Mar 16 2003 - 13:38:48 EST

Hi,

> /usr/src/linux-2.4.19/include/linux/kernel.h:10:20: stdarg.h: Aucun fichier ou répertoire de ce type
> /usr/src/linux-2.4.19/include/linux/kernel.h:73: erreur d'analyse syntaxique avant « va_list »
> /usr/src/linux-2.4.19/include/linux/kernel.h:73: AVERTISSEMENT: déclaration de fonction n'est pas un prototype
> /usr/src/linux-2.4.19/include/linux/kernel.h:76: erreur d'analyse syntaxique avant « va_list »
> /usr/src/linux-2.4.19/include/linux/kernel.h:76: AVERTISSEMENT: déclaration de fonction n'est pas un prototype
> /usr/src/linux-2.4.19/include/linux/kernel.h:80: erreur d'analyse syntaxique avant « va_list »
> /usr/src/linux-2.4.19/include/linux/kernel.h:80: AVERTISSEMENT: déclaration de fonction n'est pas un prototype

The first line just means that the stdarg.h file cannot be found; following lines are consequence of the va_list macro not being included. Well stdarg.h is provided by GCC, so it seems to me like this is rather a GCC problem... Let's continue, in case a defective makefile would be in cause...

> Notice it is in french. I search on the web for similar problem, and
> find a few examples, all in foreing language. Nobody seemed to know how
> to solve this. I then remembered I added these lines to my /etc/profile:
>
> export LANG=fr
> export LC_ALL=fr_CA
>
> By removing them, the kernel compiled just fine. Stange bug!

I don't know very well about the LC_ALL consequence, but it seems that GCC use it (and also LANG) for some reason...

Guess it could help including the GCC version (gcc -v) and the location of any stdarg.h file on your drive (locate stdarg.h or find /usr -name stdarg.h, the second may be long). If you have some spare time, also try using only the LANG, then only the LC_ALL.

James Watkins-Harvey