Re: Read Hat 7.3 and 8.0 compilation problems

From: John Bradford (john@grabjohn.com)
Date: Mon Mar 17 2003 - 08:51:48 EST

> > Are you using the stock rh kernel sources? Did you install the
> > glibc-kernheaders RPM? This contains severe RedHat braindamage:
> > /usr/include/{asm,linux} aren't links into the kernel source tree,
> > but directly installed. Remove the rpm and create the soft links
> > to /usr/src/linux.
>
> You have this completely backwards. /usr/include/{asm,linux} are
> the headers from the kernel that the glibc was compiled against.
> They should NOT never ever be symlinks to anywhere, but glibc's
> own copies of the headers.

Personally, I prefer:

/usr/local/-architecture-/include/sys-include/asm-architecture
/usr/local/-architecture-/include/sys-include/linux

If you install a lot of cross compilers, you might find that that
layout is the most logical.

> This is not 'RedHat braindamage', it's the way things should be.
> Making them symlinks is the only braindamage here.

Not sure if RedHat does this or not, but something that I would always
recommend is avoided, is assuming that /usr/src/linux is a symbolic
link to the current kernel source code.

John.