Re: make modules_install fail: depmod *** Unresolved symbols (official

From: Miguel Quirós (mquiros@ugr.es)
Date: Mon Mar 17 2003 - 10:55:47 EST

El vie, 14-03-2003 a las 15:16, Martin Schlemmer escribió:
> On Fri, 2003-03-14 at 16:03, bonganilinux@mweb.co.za wrote:
> > > Granada, 14-3-2002
> > >
> > > Hello, I downloaded kernel 2.4.20 and compiled it sucessfully a month
> > > ago without any aparent problem. Yesterday I tried to compile it again
> > > in the same computer just changing a couple of small things in the
> > > configuration (agpart and the network card changed from "module" to
> > > "yes").
> > >
> > > make dep, make bzImage and make modules went apparently well (expect for
> > > a few apparently non-important warnings with bzImage of the type
> > > Warning: indirect call without '*' when compiling pci-pc and apm).
> > >
> > > But when I try make modules_install, I've got a lot of error messages.
> > > For each module I've got one line like:
> > >
> > > depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in
> > > /lib/modules/2.4.20/kernel/arch/i386/kernel/microcode.o
> > >
> > > followed by a number of lines of the type
> > >
> > > depmod: misc_deregister
> > > depmod: __generic_copy_from_use
> > > depmod: .....
> >
> > Download, compile and install Rusty's latest module-init-tools
> > ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/rusty/modules
> >

> Errr, he got 2.4.20, not 2.5.48+ ....
>
> Miguel: Not a real fix, but try compiling microcode.o into the
> kernel and not as a module ...

Thanks a lot for your answers. Well, it is not only microcode.o. It
happens for all compiled modules (at least, for a lot of them). Anyway,
I can see that all modules have been copied to /lib/modules/2.4.20 and
that the files modules.dep and modules.whatsoever have been created. A
fast look to modules.dep makes me think that this file seems to be OK.

May I use this kernel and these modules after all ignoring the depmod
errors or should I expect problems if I do so?

Thanks again.

--
Miguel Quirós Olozábal