Re: [RFC] driver core support for i2c bus and drivers

From: Greg KH (greg@kroah.com)
Date: Mon Mar 17 2003 - 20:27:18 EST

On Mon, Mar 17, 2003 at 08:31:35PM -0500, Mark D. Studebaker wrote:

> our userspace tools use the /proc/bus/i2c file and (of course) the entire
> tree of exported sysctl info under /proc/sys/dev/sensors
> (as implemented in i2c-proc.c).

Right now, the /proc and sysctl code is not changed at all.

However, the end goal will be to remove the /proc and sysctl code
entirely, and just use sysfs, as this is exactly what sysfs is for. I
know, in order to do this properly the userspace library will need to be
changed, and I'm willing to do this work too. I do not want to break
userspace compatibility needlessly.

I'll not remove anything until the same functionality can be achieved,
is this ok? I will, of course, provide patches that for people to
evaluate, when it's working...

> Does your proposal or Cristoph's recent changes affect these?

Christoph's changes preserve the existing code, but make it work without
oopses :)

thanks,

greg k-h