Re: 2.4.20-ac2 Memory Leak?

From: Martin Josefsson (gandalf@wlug.westbo.se)
Date: Tue Mar 18 2003 - 18:28:23 EST

On Wed, 2003-03-19 at 00:17, Gregory Stark wrote:
> My router box has a problem, it seems to be running out of memory. Programs
> that worked fine earlier are now swapping like crazy.
>
> What confuses me is that if I add up all the RSS of the processes I get 5.9M,
> a number drastically lower than the available RAM on the machine (24M) and
> drastically lower than the amount of RAM "free" says is taken (22M).
>
> It seems something in kernel space has taken a ton of memory out of play?
> Or is my diagnosis wrong?

2.4.20 changed the linked list handling and ip_conntrack relied on the
old way. I've attached a patch that removes this assumption from
ip_conntrack.

This can be the source of your problems, connections can get very long
timeouts and stay in ip_conntrack.

--
/Martin

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.