Re: 2.4.20-ac2 Memory Leak?

From: Greg Stark (gsstark@mit.edu)
Date: Wed Mar 19 2003 - 09:55:48 EST

> On Wed, 2003-03-19 at 00:17, Gregory Stark wrote:
> > My router box has a problem, it seems to be running out of memory. Programs
> > that worked fine earlier are now swapping like crazy.
> >
> > What confuses me is that if I add up all the RSS of the processes I get 5.9M,
> > a number drastically lower than the available RAM on the machine (24M) and
> > drastically lower than the amount of RAM "free" says is taken (22M).
> >
> > It seems something in kernel space has taken a ton of memory out of play?
> > Or is my diagnosis wrong?

One thing I find suspicious is that my ISP was down yesterday morning, causing
pppd to try repeatedly to connect. It seems it attempted to connect over 3,000
times while the ISP was down. Every connection failed at the PAP
authentication stage.

Perhaps there's a memory leak in the pppoe connection initiation process?
Even so that would be about 4k per pppoe connection attempt. Hm, a page?

--
greg