Re: [patch 2.5.65] ehci-hcd, don't use PCI MWI

From: Jeff Garzik (jgarzik@pobox.com)
Date: Wed Mar 19 2003 - 10:34:21 EST

On Wed, Mar 19, 2003 at 07:21:42AM -0800, David Brownell wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Some users have been sending init logs for Athlon kernels that
> include PCI warning messages about the PCI cache line size
> getting set incorrectly ... where the kernel thinks that the
> right value is 16 bytes. Since 64 bytes is the right number,
> it's dangerous to enable MWI on such systems.
>
> This patch stops trying to use MWI; it's a workaround for the
> misbehavior of that PCI cacheline-setting code. Please apply
> to 2.5 and 2.4 trees.

Please don't -- Ivan has a patch for this, let's get that in instead.

We all acknowledge your patch is a workaround, but this sort of fix does
not belong in the mainstream kernel. We want to fix it The Right
Way(tm), once. And since a patch already exists for this...

We need to get IvanK's extended-save-restore-state patch in, too.

Ivan, would you be up for a repost on lkml?

        Jeff