Re: major/minor split

From: Joel Becker (Joel.Becker@oracle.com)
Date: Thu Mar 20 2003 - 17:03:13 EST

On Thu, Mar 20, 2003 at 01:47:41PM -0800, Joel Becker wrote:
> Actually, no. mknod(8), ls(1), and friends still assume struct
> stat with u16.

        It's been pointed out to me that this isn't clear. What I mean
is that mknod(8), ls(1), and other programs assume dev_t mappings that
are usually based upon the MAJOR() macro and friends. This means that
any modification of the dev_t arrangement may require source fixes and
may not, depending on how smart MAJOR() is, but will absolutely require
a new compile of the software to pick up the new MAJOR() macro.
        Peter is right, we only want to do this once.

Joel

--

"There are some experiences in life which should not be demanded twice from any man, and one of them is listening to the Brahms Requiem." - George Bernard Shaw

Joel Becker Senior Member of Technical Staff Oracle Corporation E-mail: joel.becker@oracle.com Phone: (650) 506-8127 - To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/