i2c_inc/dec_use_client in 2.5.x?

From: Ronald Bultje (rbultje@ronald.bitfreak.net)
Date: Fri Mar 21 2003 - 10:57:44 EST

Hey,

what happened to above-mentioned functions? Well, yes, I can see that
they're removed in 2.5.65 (probably earlier, I can't find them in any
2.5.x version), but why? Aren't the i2c client modules supposed to keep
their use count dynamically anymore? i2c_client->inc/dec_use are gone
too...

I had a short look at the saa7111 file (drivers/media/video/saa7111.c),
and it seems to keep use count in the attach/detach callbacks. Is this
the way to go? In the documentation (probably from 2.4.x), developers
were told this was stupid (Documentation/i2c/writing-clients). What's
the current 'policy'?

Thanks,

Ronald
(please CC, I'm not subscribed)