Re: 2.5.65 interactivity

From: Andrew Morton (akpm@digeo.com)
Date: Sat Mar 22 2003 - 16:25:51 EST

Maciej Soltysiak <solt@dns.toxicfilms.tv> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am experiencing dramatic interactivity degradation when
> apt-get upgrade is setting up the packages under X, with X running with
> nice 0 (it previously had -10)
>
> x-terminal-emualtor windows stop getting refreshed, xmms stops playing,
> and after a few seconds everything stops responding and gets going after
> another few seconds.

First thing we need to work out is whether it is a CPU scheduler thing
or if it is a VM/MM/block/fs latency problem.

- How much memory do you have?

- Are your disks runnning in DMA mode? (run hdparm /dev/hda)

- Send `vmstat 1' traces from when the problem is happening.

- If you nice up the X server, does that help?

- Try setting /proc/sys/vm/swappiness to zero

- Try decreasing /proc/sys/vm/dirty_ratio to 15