Re: Query about SIS963 Bridges

From: John M Collins (jmc@xisl.com)
Date: Mon Mar 24 2003 - 08:49:06 EST

I have managed to persuade the suppliers that as I told them I was going
to run Linux on it in advance and because the motherboard manual clearly
says only Windrosses are supported (not quite in those terms), they'll
swap the motherboard for me.

They can offer one with the Intel 7205 chipset, supposedly the "bees
knees" or one with the 845 chipset which apparently has been around for
a while but doesn't have the performance rating.

Could anyone advise me whether I would be OK with either of those,
preferably the higher performance one of course? As I'm being paid to
hack user-level software, whilst it doesn't terrify me, I'd prefer not
to dive too much into the bowels of PCI code right now.

Whilst I'm waiting for the new motherboard to appear I'll be pleased to
try out anything including any patched PCI modules for a 2.4.19 kernel
anyone wants me to on the motherboard I've got. But please remember that
I have to transfer everything on floppies because the network doesn't work!

Thanks for everyone's help.

--
John Collins Xi Software Ltd www.xisl.com