USB MemoryStick reader and 2.5.66

From: Stelian Pop (stelian.pop@fr.alcove.com)
Date: Tue Mar 25 2003 - 07:47:11 EST

Hi,

Is the usb storage driver supposed to work in the latest kernels, or
is there somewhere a big pile of scsi / usb-storage patches waiting
to be integrated and I shouldn't bother with that until then ?

This is with an internal USB Memory Stick reader on a Sony Vaio C1VE,
which works just fine in 2.4, but in 2.5 it doesn't even gets
recognized (hotplug ?). If I modprobe usb-storage manually the
module loads just fine:
  Initializing USB Mass Storage driver...
    Vendor: Sony Model: MSC-U01N Rev: 1.00

But then any attempt to mount it or even 'dd if=/dev/sda' hangs
forever, the only messages I have in kernel logs are below.

Is someone interesting in a more complete bug report or should I
test something else ?

Thanks,

Stelian.

-----------------8<---------------------------8<------------------
Initializing USB Mass Storage driver...
  Vendor: Sony Model: MSC-U01N Rev: 1.00
sda : READ CAPACITY failed.
sda : status=0, message=00, host=7, driver=00
sda : sense not available.
sda: test WP failed, assume Write Enabled
sda: asking for cache data failed
sda: assuming drive cache: write through
sda : READ CAPACITY failed.
sda : status=0, message=00, host=7, driver=00
sda : sense not available.
sda: test WP failed, assume Write Enabled
sda: asking for cache data failed
sda: assuming drive cache: write through
sda : READ CAPACITY failed.
sda : status=0, message=00, host=7, driver=00
sda : sense not available.
sda: test WP failed, assume Write Enabled
sda: asking for cache data failed
sda: assuming drive cache: write through
 sda:<3>Buffer I/O error on device sd(8,0), logical block 0
Buffer I/O error on device sd(8,0), logical block 0
 unable to read partition table
 sda:<3>Buffer I/O error on device sd(8,0), logical block 0
 unable to read partition table
Attached scsi removable disk sda at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
WARNING: USB Mass Storage data integrity not assured
USB Mass Storage device found at 2
drivers/usb/core/usb.c: registered new driver usb-storage
USB Mass Storage support registered.

--
Stelian Pop <stelian.pop@fr.alcove.com>
Alcove - http://www.alcove.com