Re: Testing: What do you want?

From: Scott Robert Ladd (coyote@coyotegulch.com)
Date: Tue Mar 25 2003 - 09:18:06 EST

Jörn Engel wrote:
> And another thing I have found to be good at finding bugs is a sick
> mind. If you intend to crash a system and do just about anything a
> normal user wouldn't, you will stress all the code paths that are
> usually not tested.

I'll throw a couple big evolutionary simulations on one of my boxes, and
see how Linux digests it. Lovely thing about stochastic code -- you
never know what it might do. :)

I could put my wife on Linux. She's a brilliant woman of great talent --
and, alas, she is endowed with an incredible ability to wreak
unintentional destruction on technology. She has accomplished some truly
remarkable feats of software implosion -- soemtimes, without touching
the keyboard!

Let's put it this way: She got *really* angry at me once, and all of my
systems (Linboxen included) REBOOTED spontaneously in reaction to her
outburst!

Now that's what *I* call "stressing" the code!

--
Scott Robert Ladd
Professional programming for science and engineering;