Compiling options?

From: Robert L. Harris (Robert.L.Harris@rdlg.net)
Date: Tue Mar 25 2003 - 13:03:34 EST

Ok, I currently manage a site with a couple hundred machines ranging
from P2 through AMD-Durons. The prevaling theory was to make a single
kernel compiled for a "pentium classic" and then load in drivers for
about everything under the sun.

Is there anything good written up on if this is the best way for our 4
person admin team to keep managing this or should the boxes be custom
tuned for specific groups of machines within reason? "What does it buy
us" is one of the big questions as swapping out that many kernels and
testing 5-8 different varriants is a big buyin on time.

Robert

:wq!
Robert L. Harris | PGP Key ID: E344DA3B
                                         @ x-hkp://pgp.mit.edu
DISCLAIMER:
      These are MY OPINIONS ALONE. I speak for no-one else.

Diagnosis: witzelsucht

IPv6 = robert@ipv6.rdlg.net http://ipv6.rdlg.net
IPv4 = robert@mail.rdlg.net http://www.rdlg.net