2.4.20: kernel BUG at highmem.c:169!

From: Yedidyah Bar-David (didi@tau.ac.il)
Date: Tue Mar 25 2003 - 18:14:18 EST

Hi all,

Today, a machine with vanilla 2.4.20 hung with this in syslog:

kernel BUG at highmem.c:169!
invalid operand: 0000

The complete log can be found at
<http://www.cs.tau.ac.il/~didi/kern-bug-1-orig>, with a
hopefully well-decoded ksymoopsed output at
<http://www.cs.tau.ac.il/~didi/kern-bug-1-ksymed>.

When this happened, the machine still replied to ping, but not
to other things I tried (but I did not try much). The console
did not respond to anything, including Alt-SysRq-B (which is
verified to normally work).
I ran memtest86 for about an hour, no problems, and rebooted.

It's a Dual PIII-1000 with 4GB RAM, CONFIG_HIGHMEM4G=y (full
config here <http://www.cs.tau.ac.il/~didi/config-2.4.20-net1>),
with root (and everything else) on NFS. This might (or might not)
be related to a problem solved in 2.4.21-pre5, noticed as
"xdr nfs highmem deadlock fix" in the changelog.
google found no other BUG in this line (but did find in others).

Is this a known bug? A solved (in which version) bug?
Should I do anything else to make it not happen?
Tell me if you need more info.

I am not on lkml, so please CC me.

Thanks a lot!

        Didi