Re: LVM/Device mapper breaks with -mm (was: Re: 2.5.66-mm1)

From: Andries Brouwer (aebr@win.tue.nl)
Date: Wed Mar 26 2003 - 11:03:50 EST

On Wed, Mar 26, 2003 at 03:33:26PM +0100, Erik Hensema wrote:

> > You can revert this single patch and probably all will be fine.
>
> For now I've reverted this patch and LVM is working again.

Good.

> > More interesting would be to apply
> >
> > http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=103956089203199&w=3
>
> I'd rather not change the ioctl interface, since that would make dual
> booting with 2.5-vanilla harder.

The ioctl has a version field:

struct dm_ioctl {
        uint32_t version[3];

and the above patch changes version 1.6.0 into 2.0.0.
With sufficiently recent user space utilities all
should work: they can find out the interface version
using the DM_VERSION ioctl, and then adapt what
they send to the kernel.
(I don't know whether such up-to-date utilities exist.)

Andries