Re: Preferred way to load non-free firmware

From: Oliver Neukum (oliver@neukum.org)
Date: Wed Mar 26 2003 - 11:19:07 EST

Am Mittwoch, 26. März 2003 14:52 schrieb Jeremy Jackson:
> Check the list archive, there was someone telling about support they
> added for binary blobs in /proc (or was it sysfs?) for this (among
> others) very purpose.
>
> Please don't make the situation any worse. I'd like to have some hope
> that Debian my publish their kernel-source package with a
> linux-x.x.x.tar.bz2 that matches the md5sum of the one on kernel.org
> some day.

I am sure such a patch, if the Debian people would get it into the
mainline kernel, would find its use.
But failing that I see no reason why any coder should jump through
hoops for the nontechnical concerns of any distribution, including Debian.
Using procfs for this is messier than including it in a header file.

        Regards
                Oliver