Re: Unable to turn paging on!!

From: William Lee Irwin III (wli@holomorphy.com)
Date: Wed Mar 26 2003 - 15:26:27 EST

On Wed, Mar 26, 2003 at 01:23:17PM -0600, ravikumar.chakaravarthy@amd.com wrote:
> I tweaked the kernel and boot loader to load the kernel at 0xdf000000, physical address. I did the following changes to setup the initial page table.
> However during boot, in arch/i386/kernel/head.S when the paging bit is set
> movl %eax,%cr0 /* ..and set paging (PG) bit */
> My computer hangs!!
> Any idea why??

Well, first off this is probably a virtual address, not a physical
one. I don't know why you're trying to do this, but there are bits in
arch/i386/boot/ that will likely need fixing up for you to do this.
If that's really the physical address you're trying to use you're
going to need a special bootloader and some invasive arch/i386/ changes.

-- wli