Re: Annouce: Initial SWSUSP 2.4 port to 2.5 available.

From: Patrick Mochel (mochel@osdl.org)
Date: Thu Mar 27 2003 - 12:00:15 EST

Hi there.

> - HighMem support
> - Multiple swap partiton support
> - Ability to cancel a suspend by pressing ALT.
> - Ability to save what is close a perfect image image of RAM (resulting
> in a very fast, responsive system on resume - assumes enough swap
> available to store your full image)
> - Extensive debugging capabilities
> - Fast and reliable (extensive testing done under 2.4).

I'm glad that you have done this work, and I look forward to merging it
with the power management infrastructure work I have been doing. However,
there are several outstanding issues.

> There are issues still to be dealt with, but these should not in any way
> interfere with testing at this stage. They are:
>
> - 2 page flags currently used: to be converted to dynamically allocated
> bitmaps

I will not take the code which still relies on the page flag bits. I look
forward to your dynamic bitmap implementation.

As for the current patch, I was unable to test its actual functionality,
which I will get to in a moment.

First, I request that you please name the patches something sensible that
won't collide with anything else, like swsusp-2.5.66-<n>.diff, not
'patch-2.5.66-<n>.diff'.

Also, please make it explicitly clear which patch(es) are needed for
download. On the sourceforge site, both -01 and -02 are highlighted as
current, though they appear to different versions of the same thing.

I'm glad to hear that you have completed the full port, but many people
appreciate incremental patches, especially if the cumulative changes
touch multiple parts of the kernel. Please consider breaking the one large
patch into multiple, easily digestible, chunks.

Finally, with either patch, there are unresolved symbols:

arch/i386/kernel/built-in.o: In function `do_suspend_lowlevel':
arch/i386/kernel/built-in.o(.data+0x1644): undefined reference to `save_processor_state'
arch/i386/kernel/built-in.o(.data+0x164a): undefined reference to `saved_context_esp'
arch/i386/kernel/built-in.o(.data+0x164f): undefined reference to `saved_context_eax'
arch/i386/kernel/built-in.o(.data+0x1655): undefined reference to `saved_context_ebx'
arch/i386/kernel/built-in.o(.data+0x165b): undefined reference to `saved_context_ecx'
arch/i386/kernel/built-in.o(.data+0x1661): undefined reference to `saved_context_edx'
arch/i386/kernel/built-in.o(.data+0x1667): undefined reference to `saved_context_ebp'
arch/i386/kernel/built-in.o(.data+0x166d): undefined reference to `saved_context_esi'
arch/i386/kernel/built-in.o(.data+0x1673): undefined reference to `saved_context_edi'
arch/i386/kernel/built-in.o(.data+0x167a): undefined reference to `saved_context_eflags'

The fix is likely trivial, but it is annoying that it happens in the first
place.

Thanks,

        -pat