Re: IDE DMA problems

From: Torsten Landschoff (torsten@debian.org)
Date: Sat Mar 29 2003 - 08:59:26 EST

Hi Danny,

On Fri, Mar 28, 2003 at 09:09:31PM +0000, Danny ter Haar wrote:
> >Using hdparm -X 66 to set it to udma2 just kills off dma with these
> >error messages:
> >
> > hda: timeout waiting for DMA
> > ide_dmaproc: chipset supported ide_dma_timeout func only: 14
> > hda: status error: status=0x58 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest }
> > hda: drive not ready for command
> > blk: queue c0370084, I/O limit 4095Mb (mask 0xffffffff)
> > hda: lost interrupt
> >

> I've experienced similar "problems/events".
>
> If i enable unix processor apic but NOT IO-APIC i don't have these
> problems.

The system in question is actually SMP but currently running with a
single CPU because of a fan failure. So I think that option is enabled
by default.

In fact it was a dumb error on my side. I did /not/ enable PIIX_TUNING
while I was sure I did. With that option the kernel configure the bus
just fine for whatever DMA the board supports.

Currently I got another problem: When rebuilding the raid5 it fails
with an I/O error. The IDE message is not very helpful but it seems
the second disk in the raid is defective. But I guess I am down to
pure hardware problems.

Thanks, Guys

        Torsten