Problem created by Zoning on Linux

From: chandrasekhar.nagaraj (chandrasekhar.nagaraj@patni.com)
Date: Mon Mar 31 2003 - 07:27:09 EST

Hi,
We are trying to create zoning (IO fencing) on our storage device.
The zoning is to be done on the LUN basis, so that a particular HBA will
accesses the only those LUNs which are assigned to it.

We have two HBA cards residing on different Hosts.

We have created 8 LUNs (from 0 to 7).
Now we want to give access to only 4 LUNs from each HBA card.

So we have given access to LUN 0 to 3 from HBA card 1.
Also LUN 4 to 7 is to be accessed from HBA card 2.

When we did the above, we observed that the Host, which has access to LUN 0
to 3, is working fine. i.e. its /proc/scsi/scsi is showing entries
corresponding to LUN 0 to 3. Also 4 scsi devices are created & can be viewed
in /proc/partitions.

But the second Host, which should have access to LUN 4 to 7, has some
problem.
The /proc/partitions does not show any scsi device file. Also
/proc/scsi/scsi does not entries corresponding to LUN 4 to 7; but it have
only one entry corresponding to LUN 0 (which should not be allowed).

So, is there any restriction on Linux that the LUN number should start with
0 only??
If so, then what is the solution/workaround?

Thanks and Regards
Chandrasekhar