Re: 2.5.67 kernel BUG at fs/buffer.c:2538

From: Helge Hafting (helgehaf@aitel.hist.no)
Date: Tue Apr 08 2003 - 11:30:54 EST

On Tue, Apr 08, 2003 at 09:27:33AM -0600, Steven Cole wrote:
> This may be a case of:
>
> "It hurts when I do this:"
> "Then don't do that!"
>
> I started the latest security updated package of samba with
> kernel 2.5.67, but I had forgotten to set CONFIG_SMB_FS.
> The box became unresponsive, and then locked hard. Didn't respond
> to pings, etc. So I had to alt-sysrq-b. Now, samba is broken somehow,
> ERROR: Samba cannot create a SAM SID.
> so I can't presently retest with SMB_FS=y and 2.5.67 or with
> the vendor kernel (2.4.21-0.13mdk).

I tried starting samba on 2.5.66-mm3, and it died the same way,
even though I had smbfs compiled in. I guess smbfs in 2.5 is a bit
shaky, at least in some configurations. Do you too have
preempt?

 Unfortunately I had not yet
> tested the new security updated packages for samba with the vendor kernel.
>
> However dumb it was to start samba without SMB_FS enabled,
> the box shouldn't die like this.

Definitely not. Samba software is supposed to simply fail when
the kernel don't support it.

Helge Hafting