Re: [LTP] Re: Same syscall is defined to different numbers on 3 different archs(was Re: Makefile issue)

From: Werner Almesberger (wa@almesberger.net)
Date: Tue Apr 08 2003 - 14:47:18 EST

Paul Larson wrote:
> I don't think so. Apps should be accessing things through libraries
> anyway. The only reason we don't in some cases like this is that it's
> new and not in libs on any distro yet.

Well yes, if the syscall is correctly implemented in the library,
there's no problem.

> Besides, I don't think having a
> /proc/syscalls would be any better than having to do ifdefs or use
> kernel headers.

#ifdef may be hard pressed to identify a specific kernel with a
specific patch. Kernel headers are obviously a solution (although
this violates the "user space must never include kernel headers"
pseudo-rule), but add the problem of needing to identify the
"current" source tree, which is a configuration step almost always
requiring manual intervention.

My suggestion for /proc/syscalls isn't entirely serious, but it
would be nice if we could eventually solve this problem ...

- Werner