[RFC] first try for swap prefetch

From: Thomas Schlichter (schlicht@uni-mannheim.de)
Date: Thu Apr 10 2003 - 12:47:58 EST

Hi,

as mentioned a few days ago I was going to try to implement a swap prefetch to
better utilize the free memory. Now here is my first try. This version works
only as a module and tests for free pagecahe memory in a interval specified
as a module parameter.

As I tested this I saw that many of the page reloads do not come from the swap
space but from buffers that got moved away. I could easily save which buffers
have been removed but I don't know how to read them back to the pagecache...

An other thing I saw was that anywhere in the kernel there must be some code
which always tries to hold some memory pages free, even if there are cached
pages that just can be freed as they are not modified... Perhaps that code
should be changed...

I hope someone may give me some hints or show me obvious mistakes I made...
;-)

Thank you!

Best regards
   Thomas