Re: kernel support for non-english user messages

From: Shaya Potter (spotter@cs.columbia.edu)
Date: Thu Apr 10 2003 - 17:20:15 EST

On Thu, 2003-04-10 at 16:36, John Bradford wrote:
> > There is a lot of anti-VMS stuff in the Unix world mostly coming
> > from the _horrible_ command line and other bad early memories. There
> > is also a hell of a lot of really cool stuff under that command line
> > we could and should learn from.
>
> When are we going to see versioned filesystems in Linux? That was a
> standard feature in VMS.

it shouldn't be that hard, it was one of the 6 OS projects for the
regular 4000 level (senior/grad) level OS class here at columbia last
semster.

The assignment was to modify ext2 to support versioning, basically means
making a copy of it within ext2's open, if it's opened O_RDWR. The
assignment was a little bit more complicated in that we took an ext2
flag bit to mean "version", so that a file would only be versioned if
the bit was set, as well as only allowing a single level of versioning,
though extending it w/ more wouldn't be that hard.

The student solutions (as well as our sample solution) weren't that
"pretty", but then again, each project was only for 2-2.5 weeks.