Re: [patch for playing] Patch to support 4000 disks and maintain backward compatibility

From: Douglas Gilbert (dougg@torque.net)
Date: Fri Apr 11 2003 - 05:09:34 EST

Badari Pulavarty wrote:
> On Thursday 10 April 2003 04:53 pm, Andries.Brouwer@cwi.nl wrote:
>
>> From: Badari Pulavarty <pbadari@us.ibm.com>
>>
>> > I am more worried about names slipping. I atleast hope
>> > to see device names not changing by just doing
>> > rmmod/insmod.
>> >
>> > But you see, the present sd_index_bits[] gives no such
>> > guarantee. In sd_detach a bit is cleared, in sd_attach
>> > the first free bit is given out. There is no memory.
>>
>> But the disks are probed in the same manner as last time
>> (if the disks/controllers are not moved, crashed etc..).
>> So we will end up getting same names.
>>
>>Oh, but if next_index is 0 in the module (or reset by the
>>init_module code), then also with index = next_index++
>>things will be the same after rmmod/insmod.
>

> Here is my problem..
>
> #insmod ips.o
> < found 10 disks>
> #insmod qla2300.o
> < found 10 disks>
> #rmmod ips.o
> <removed 10 disks>
> #insmod ips.o
> <found 10 disks - but new names>

Badari,
In 2.5 lets assume the /dev/sd[a-z][a-z][a-z]
device addressing is left as is (more or less). To
identify lots of disks the Vital Product Data page 0x83
(failing that, the disk serial number) should be used.

This information is available via sysfs (thanks to
Patrick Mansfield and Mike Anderson).

# cd /sys/bus/scsi/devices
# find . -follow -name 'name' -exec cat {} \; -print
SIBM DNES-309170W AJF98887
./1:0:4:0/name
SFUJITSU MAM3184MP UKS0P2300CK0
./0:0:1:0/name

It is relatively easy to write user space tools to show
this information:
# lsscsi -n
[0:0:1:0] disk FUJITSU MAM3184MP 0106 /dev/sda
   name: SFUJITSU MAM3184MP UKS0P2300CK0
[1:0:4:0] disk IBM DNES-309170W SA30 /dev/sdb
   name: SIBM DNES-309170W AJF98887

Each pair of lines links the transient topological and device
node name ("0:0:1:0" and "dev/sda" respectively) with a
(hopefully) invariant "name" for that device.

So if that name was hashed there would be a reasonable mapping
from that name to the current Linux scsi disk device node name
(e.g. /dev/sda). So user space tools could work out the mapping
and provide the "memory" from one boot to the next (and across
the deletion and re-addition of HBA modules).

Doug Gilbert