Re: [patch for playing] Patch to support 4000 disks and maintain backward compatibility

From: Andries.Brouwer@cwi.nl
Date: Fri Apr 11 2003 - 06:42:13 EST

    From: Badari Pulavarty <pbadari@us.ibm.com>

> > But you see, the present sd_index_bits[] gives no such
> > guarantee. In sd_detach a bit is cleared, in sd_attach
> > the first free bit is given out. There is no memory.
>
> But the disks are probed in the same manner as last time
> (if the disks/controllers are not moved, crashed etc..).
> So we will end up getting same names.
>
> Oh, but if next_index is 0 in the module (or reset by the
> init_module code), then also with index = next_index++
> things will be the same after rmmod/insmod.

    Here is my problem..

    #insmod ips.o
      < found 10 disks>
    #insmod qla2300.o
      < found 10 disks>
    #rmmod ips.o
       <removed 10 disks>
    #insmod ips.o
      <found 10 disks - but new names>

OK, I see what you mean. I agree.

Andries

[I see that dougg wants to solve such things by properly naming,
but that is a higher level. Given a large number space an
easier solution is to give each module its own part of the
number space.]