Re: [RFC] first try for swap prefetch

From: John Bradford (john@grabjohn.com)
Date: Fri Apr 11 2003 - 07:21:44 EST

> > > as mentioned a few days ago I was going to try to implement a swap
> > > prefetch to better utilize the free memory. Now here is my first try.
> >
> > That's surprisingly cute. Does it actually do anything noticeable?
>
> Well, it fills free pagecache memory with swapped pages... ;-)

Actually, it could potentially do something very useful - if you are
using a laptop, or other machine where disks are spun down to save
power, you might be swapping in data while the disk still happens to
be spinning, rather than letting it spin down, then having to spin it
up again - in that instance you are definitely gaining something,
(more battery life).

John.