Re: [ANNOUNCE] udev 0.1 release

From: Joel Becker (Joel.Becker@oracle.com)
Date: Fri Apr 11 2003 - 14:28:27 EST

On Fri, Apr 11, 2003 at 11:31:28AM -0700, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
> - if any partitions are found, they are registered with the kernel using
> device-mapper ioctls
> - because these new "mapped sections" of the drive are _also_ usable block
> devices in their own right, they generate hotplug events

        In reality, we need /dev/disk0 for disks, and /dev/part0 for
partitions, and /dev/lv0 for logical volumes from the LVM. There's
going to be a war over this naming, and that's why this is hard.

Joel

--

"And yet I fight, And yet I fight this battle all alone. No one to cry to; No place to call home."

Joel Becker Senior Member of Technical Staff Oracle Corporation E-mail: joel.becker@oracle.com Phone: (650) 506-8127 - To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/