Re: [patch for playing] Patch to support 4000 disks and maintain backward compatibility

From: Andries.Brouwer@cwi.nl
Date: Fri Apr 11 2003 - 14:45:30 EST

    From James.Bottomley@SteelEye.com Fri Apr 11 21:12:28 2003

> It is me who wants compatibility as far as 8+8 device numbers are
> concerned, while I can see lots of ways to use new number space.

    This, I'm not too sure about. I see the value to kernel developers who
    boot between different versions of the kernel, but I think when 2.6 goes
    live and ships to end users, it's better not to have such numeric
    equivalency crufting up the SCSI interfaces.

I think compatibility is very important.
Linux does not arbitrarily break old systems. The aim must be
to have all combinations of (old/new) kernel with (old/new) glibc
to work well in all situations where old kernel + old glibc worked.

Andries