Re: [ANNOUNCE] udev 0.1 release

From: Joel Becker (Joel.Becker@oracle.com)
Date: Fri Apr 11 2003 - 19:19:13 EST

On Fri, Apr 11, 2003 at 04:37:19PM -0700, Greg KH wrote:
> > if [ -f /etc/redhat-release ]
> > then
> > DISKPREFIX="/dev/disk"
>
> But all the distros will do that for you :)

        Oh no they won't. They're just going to fix their own scripts
to accept their own scheme. Never mind my own. I want my own scheme,
the distro scripts break. I want a script running out of shared NFS?
I lose.

> Then try to convince LSB to add a device naming document to their spec.
> That's the only way this is going to happen...

        LSB isn't even followed now. What we need is a naming czar. As
you point out, Good Luck.
        Linux devices are going to stop sucking from one perspective and
start sucking from another. Yay.

Joel

--

"Can any of you seriously say the Bill of Rights could get through Congress today? It wouldn't even get out of committee." - F. Lee Bailey

Joel Becker Senior Member of Technical Staff Oracle Corporation E-mail: joel.becker@oracle.com Phone: (650) 506-8127 - To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/