Re: Quick question about hyper-threading (also some NUMA stuff)

From: Martin J. Bligh (mbligh@aracnet.com)
Date: Mon Apr 14 2003 - 09:55:37 EST

> This sounds like the most sensible approach. I like considering the
> extremes of performance, but sometimes, the time for math required for some
> optimization can be worse than any benefit you get out of it. Your
> suggestion is simple. It increases the likelihood (10% better for little
> extra effort is better than 10% worse) of related processes being run on the
> same node, while not impacting the system's ability to balance load. This,
> as you say, is also very important for NUMA.

See my earlier email - rebalance_node() does this, and it's very cheap, as
we just SMP balance *within* the node - the cross node rebalancer is a
separate tunable background process.

> Does the NUMA support migrate pages to the node which is running a process?
> Or would processes jump nodes often enough to make that not worth the
> effort?

No, we don't do page migration as yet. Andi is playing with a homenode
concept that makes pages allocate from a predefined "home node" always,
instead of their current node. Last time I benchmarked that concept it
sucked, but the advent of the per-cpu, per-zone hot/cold page cache, and
the fact that he's using hardware with totally different NUMA characteristics
may well change that conclusion.

We don't normally migrate stuff around much on the higher-ration NUMA
machines. With AMD Hammer or whatever, that may change.

> In order for page migration to be worth it, node affinity would have to be
> fairly strong. It's particularly important when a process maps pages which
> belong to another node. Is there any logic there to duplicate pages in
> cases where there is enough free memory for it? We'd have to tag the pages
> as duplicates so the VM could reclaim them.

Right - we're looking at read only text replication, first for the kernel
(which ia64 has already), then for shared libs and program text. It's a
good concept, provided you have plenty of RAM (which big NUMA boxes tend
to). Probably needs hooking into the address space structure, and to be
thrown away just like anything else that's unused under memory pressure
from the per-node LRU lists. Though it'd be nice to mark them as particularly
cheap to retrieve, and had a reference count (a node bitmap?) and to
retrieve them from another node, not from disk.

M.