Re: [patch] dentry_stat fix

From: Andrew Morton (akpm@digeo.com)
Date: Mon Apr 14 2003 - 14:26:59 EST

Maneesh Soni <maneesh@in.ibm.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 14, 2003 at 02:14:48AM -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
> > Maneesh Soni <maneesh@in.ibm.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > This patch the corrects the dentry_stat.nr_unused calculation.
> >
> > OK, I didn't even know we had a bug in there...
> >
> > btw, can you explain to me why shrink_dcache_anon() and select_parent() are
> > putting dentries at the wrong end of dentry_unused?
> prune_dcache() picks up from this end in first round. It will reset the
> DCACHE_REFERENCED flag and will put it to the front of dentry_unused list.

Sorry, but I still don't understand why they're being put at the "oldest" end
of dentry_unused.

Also, shrink_dcache_anon() does:

        prune_dcache(found);

I hope we're not assuming that all the dentries which were just added will be
freed? They hae the referenced bit set, and new dentries can be added...