Re: Linux on Unisys Aquanta HR/6 ?

From: Pasi Pirhonen (upi@gandalf.ipv6.papat.org)
Date: Mon Apr 14 2003 - 14:27:10 EST

On 14 Apr 2003 13:27:09 +0100, Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> wrote:
> On Llu, 2003-04-14 at 09:20, Meelis Roos wrote:
>> Has anyone had any sucess running Linux on Unisys Aquanta HR/6 (or HR/6U
>> if that matters)? This is a up to 6-way PPro SMP machine,
>> http://www.unimetrix.com/hr6.html is the best description I have.
>
> I can't help thinking a single AMD duron would outrun it.

Absolutely true, but you cannot afford to have 4-way 2+Ghz P4 Xeon at
home easily. Those are cheap machines to get more that 2-way SMP for
tweaking with scalability. I have 2 quad-PPRO 'in my collection' and
those are the 'pearls of it'. One that i'd really like to have is that
8-way NCR WorldMark PPRO, but those are rare (i have spotted one tho,
but it's still on production).

Heck. Now we (i) am talking about these babies, i even have 3-way P166
SMP machine which is working just fine :)

Still, when we talk about compiling kernel and like, i prefer 2Ghz
athlon or something over quad-PPRO as it's still running loops around
any old stuff while compiling.

> For Linux support the big thing you need to know is if the system
> is "Intel MP 1.1/1.4 compliant". A lot of the ppro boxes were,
> but 6 ways can be a bit strange (the ALR 6x6 does work )

Aquanta should be exactly 6x6 motherboard w/ different BIOS.

--
upi@iki.fi -- http://www.iki.fi/upi/