Re: kernel support for non-English user messages

From: Felipe Alfaro Solana (felipe_alfaro@linuxmail.org)
Date: Mon Apr 14 2003 - 18:04:57 EST

On Mon, 2003-04-14 at 19:29, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> Some people care about documentation, some people don't. That's a fact,
> and spouting platitudes about "improving their work" just doesn't
> _matter_. The whole open source idea is that people do what they care
> about and what they are good at, and exactly because they aren't forced to
> deal with issues they don't have a heart for they take more pride and
> interest in the stuff they _do_ do.

Newbies as me do care about documentation ;-) The Linux kernel is
getting more complex over time, and I appreciate some kind of
architectural docs to know more about the inner workings. Personally, I
don't have all the time I would like to explore and investigate, so a
50,000-feet-point-of-view and some detailed documentation about VM,
scheduler and net are welcome.

Kernel experts as you (Linus, Andrew, Alan, Russell, Jeff and many
others whose names I must leave out as I don't have space to name them
all) probably know the inner workings better than anyone as they work
with it every day, but people new to kernel hacking need some starting
point.

> Personally, I don't write documentation. I don't much even write comments
> in my code. My personal feeling is that as long as functions are small and
> readable (and logical), and global variables have good names, that's all I
> need to do. Others - who do care about comments and docs - can do that
> part.

Well, some functions and variable names may seem readable and logical to
some, but it takes time for me to decipher some of them :-)

Linux Registered User #287198