Re: Writing modules for 2.5

From: Russell King (rmk@arm.linux.org.uk)
Date: Tue Apr 15 2003 - 07:57:58 EST

On Tue, Apr 15, 2003 at 02:39:14PM +0200, Måns Rullgård wrote:
> My situation is like this: I am converting a char device driver to
> work with linux 2.5. In the open and close functions there are
> MOD_INC/DEC_USECOUNT calls. The question is what they should be
> replaced with. Will it be handled correctly without them?

If it's a character device driver using the struct file_operations,
set the owner field as Alan mentioned, and remove the
MOD_{INC,DEC}_USE_COUNT macros from the open/close methods. This
allows chrdev_open() (in fs/char_dev.c) to increment your module use
count automatically.

--
Russell King (rmk@arm.linux.org.uk)                The developer of ARM Linux